Activities and Games
Learn to Fingerspell
- Grades: PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5, 6–8, 9–12
In Brian Selznick’s Wonderstruck the two main characters are deaf. Explore the theme of deafness with this Fingerspelling activity from The Stacks in which students learn the hand movements of the sign language alphabet.
- Students will learn to fingerspell their names and other words
- Students will be able to connect their experiences with those of the characters of Wonderstruck
- Students will make observations and connections that allow them to better interpret and understand the text
- Students will become familiar with some aspects of deaf culture by practicing the alphabet of a complex and unique language