Activities and Games, Writing Activities
Humor: A Write It Activity
It’s not easy to be funny! Scholastic helps students inject some comedy into their writing with this six-step writing workshop.
- Grades: 6–8, 9–12
Scholastic’s “Write It: Humor,” for older students, incorporates interactive tutorials, exercises, publishing opportunities, message boards, and creative ideas — all meant to help students transform funny ideas into hilarious stories.
- Brainstorm: These four exercises help students tap into their wit and imagination.
- Draft: Students learn how to employ the elements of surprise and parody. Plus, they learn how to exploit their most embarrassing moments with help from best-selling humorist David Sedaris!
- Review: How to offer and receive feedback from others.
- Revise: Students find four ways to improve their humorous pieces – or how to go back to the drawing board and try a new idea.
- Polish: How to proof for silly mistakes, such as misspellings or incorrect grammar.
- Publish: A unique opportunity for students to become published poets! Here, they submit their completed work to Scholastic.com.
- Students can Chat with Fellow Writers to get feedback on their writing.
- Jenna, 18, shares her work of humor, “Just Face It.”
- Students study the genre of humor writing and select mentor texts.
- Students may use this interactive site to develop and publish a humorous essay.