Computer Lab Activities
Human Body: A Math Hunt Activity
Learn about the human body by multiplying, dividing, and converting units to answer five math-related questions about the human body.
- Grades: 3–5, 6–8
In “Human Body” (grades 5–8),students conduct online research to help answer five multiple-choice, math-related questions about the human brain, calorie-counting, DNA, and more.
Which of these exercises would allow a person weighing 150 pounds to burn at least 300 calories?
- Running 6 miles an hour for thirty minutes
- Moving the lawn for 40 minutes
- Table tennis for 1 hour
In addition to challenging students’ reading comprehension skills, “Human Body” tests these “math hunting” skills:
- Addition and Subtraction
- Charts and Graphs
- Combinations and Permutations
- Converting Units of Measurement: Converting Units of Time
- Fractions: Multiplication with Fractions
- Multiplication and Division
By participating in Math Hunt, students will:
- Practice problem-solving skills from the grade 5–8 math curriculum
- Explore topics from the grades 5–8 science and social studies curriculum
- Learn basic Internet research skills
- Develop an understanding of the construction of standardized test questions and multiple-choice answers