Activities and Games
Gather Data: A Weather Watch Activity
Welcome to the Weather Lab! Students get hands-on by building and experimenting with six tools that meteorologists use every day.
- Grades: 3–5, 6–8
In the “Gather Data” activity, part of the Weather Watch series, students can test-drive the tools meteorologists use every day! Scholastic provides step-by-step instructions for building and using each tool.
- Calculate wind speed with an anemometer.
- Measure wind direction with a wind vane.
- Determine air pressure with a barometer.
- Use a rain gauge to measure how much rain falls in a given period of time.
- Determine how much snow falls in a given period with a snow gauge.
- Measure temperature with a thermometer.
Plus, print our Weather Data Sheet to record the results of each experiment!
While participating in Weather Watch’s “Gather Data” activity, students will:
- Formulate questions to help guide their own learning
- Gain knowledge of weather terms and their appropriate usage
- Gather data from several sources