Online Learning Activities, Writing Activities
China: A Global Trek Activity
Through various online activities, students get to “tour” China and learn about its history, culture, and its people.
- Grades: 3–5, 6–8
The Global Trek series takes students on a virtual trip around the world, where they can learn about foreign countries through various online activities. In China: A Global Trek Activity (grades 4–8), students visit China, an exotic country that is home to the oldest civilization in the world.
- Students learn about China, including the enormity of its size and population, its current communist government, and more.
- Students can browse a Photo Tour of Places in China, a second slideshow on that subject, and a Photo Tour of People of China.
- China: The Powerhouse of the New Millenium? shares why this nation is poised to take center stage.
- Students get a glimpse of the breadth of Chinese inventions, including the printing press, acupuncture, and gunpowder, in Land of Discovery.
- China: A Basic Timeline traces back highlights from its history to 1600 to 1050 B.C.
- Panda Party shares a math problem that students must solve to uncover a panda’s personality.
- Students can read about Myths from China.
- Students can browse a slideshow of Chinese Art and Architecture.
- People in China shares details on the Han Dynasty, what a typical family is like, the common languages spoken, and more.
- Students learn about Boom Times in China and how China’s youth — interested in reaping profit from their bustling economy — is mobilizing for China’s Second Revolution.
- Censorship is discussed in Google’s China Problem.
- Students go on a Web Hunt: China Yesterday and Today to learn more about the country.
- China’s Olympic Challenge — the world shining a spotlight on their notorious political issues — is explored.
- Students can record what they’ve learned in a Travel Journal.
While “touring” China, students will:
- Investigate people, places, and environments.
- Use technological resources to gather information about the country and culture that they visit.
- Study global connections and interdependence by reading online text in order to meet the people of the country they visit.
- Use written and visual language to communicate their experiences, thoughts, feelings, collect pictures and write captions about the memorable moments of their travels.