Computer Lab Activities
Black History: A Math Hunt Activity
Meet extraordinary leaders and learn about African American culture on this historic hunt. You'll master an array of skills as you earn points for each correct calculation.
- Grades: 3–5, 6–8
In “Black History” (grades 5–8), students go on an online fact-finding mission to answer five multiple-choice, math-related questions about the extraordinary leaders and culture of African-American history.
What was the average number of African Americans per unit during the Civil War? (HINT: Round to the nearest whole number.)
In addition to challenging students’ reading comprehension skills, Black History tests these “math hunting” skills:
- Addition and Subtraction
- Charts and Graphs
- Multiplication and Division
By participating in Math Hunt, students will:
- Practice problem-solving skills from the grade 5–8 math curriculum
- Explore topics from the grades 5–8 science and social studies curriculum
- Learn basic Internet research skills
- Develop an understanding of the construction of standardized test questions and multiple-choice answers