Computer Lab Activities
Ancient Civilizations: A Math Hunt Activity
Students visit mysterious ancient worlds, gathering information that will help them answer five challenging math riddles.
- Grades: 3–5, 6–8
In “Ancient Civilizations” (grades 5–8), an online learning activity from Scholastic’s Math Hunt series, students investigate facts and clues that will help them solve five math riddles about ancient worlds.
In addition to challenging students’ reading comprehension skills, “Ancient Civilizations” tests these “math hunting” skills:
- Converting Units of Measurement
- Geometry: Area
- Geometry: Volume
- Numerical Sequences: Number lines
- Ratio & Proportion
- Understanding Number Systems
For how many years did pharaoh Khafre rule?
a. 36 years
b. 26 years
c. 74 years
By participating in Math Hunt, students will:
- Practice problem-solving skills from the grade 5–8 math curriculum
- Explore topics from the grades 5–8 science and social studies curriculum
- Learn basic Internet research skills
- Develop an understanding of the construction of standardized test questions and multiple-choice answers