Teaching With Books
Construction of the Great Wall of China began in 700 B.C. Chinese rulers maintained and expanded the wall for hundreds of years. The barrier protected Chinese villages from invaders. About 5,500 miles of the wall still stand today.
Before Groundhog Day began, February 2 was Candlemas Day. People believed that the weather on Candlemas Day predicted the future weather. A sunny sky meant more winter. A rainy day meant spring would arrive soon. In the late 1800s, German settlers in Pennsylvania started the groundhog tradition.
A suffix is a word part added to the end of a word to change its meaning.
What is the meaning of the bold word in each sentence?
1. The organizers were nervous that rain would ruin their event.
2. It was such a joyous celebration that everyone cried!
3. The victorious team held the trophy up high as everyone cheered.
Each of the bold words includes a suffix. What is the suffix, and what is its meaning?
3 teaspoons (tsp) = 1 tablespoon (tbsp)
16 tablespoons = 1 cup
1. 1/2 cup = ___ tablespoons
2. 1/4 cup = ___ tablespoons
3. 1/2 cup = ___ teaspoons