- Explore What's New
- Sign in to
- Find and level books with Book Wizard
- Teach and inspire with Lesson Plans
- Engage with web and whiteboard Student Activities
Explore What's New
Find and level books with Book Wizard
Teach and inspire with Lesson Plans
Engage with web and whiteboard Student Activities
Complete each sentence with one of these homophones: meet, meat, or mete.
1. Lions eat the _____ of animals they hunt.
2. If hyenas _____ a lion, they will usually back away. But they may try to steal the lion's kill.
3. Hyenas don't _____ out helpings of a kill; each hyena will eat whatever it can!
Estimate each answer.
1. Is 1/4 + 1/6 = >1/2 or <1/2
2. Is 2/3 + 1/4 = >1/2 or <1/2
3. Is 1/8 + 2/4 = >1/2 or <1/2
Memorial Day is an American holiday that honors the soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines who have died at war. Memorial Day began after the Civil War. It was called Decoration Day, because people decorated soldiers' graves with flowers. Memorial Day is celebrated annually on the last Monday in May.
In the United States, people who travel into space are called astronauts. The word astronaut comes from the Greek words for "star" (astro) and "sailor" (naut). Latin and Greek are very old languages. Many scholarly works were written in Latin or Greek. And over time Latin and Greek words were assimilated, or absorbed, into other languages, such as English.
Teaching With Books
Everything You Need
Useful materials on earth science, conservation, and plant life from Scholastic Printables! Offer ends May 31, 2013.