SAMSUNG TELECOMMUNICATIONS AMERICA (SAMSUNG) ("SAMSUNG") (Sponsor)
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A purchase will not increase the chances of winning. The Samsung Mobile App Academy (the "Academy") runs between July 6, 2015, and November 7, 2015. The App Academy online courses, six approximately one-hour courses ("AA Online Courses"), must be fully completed, and entries in connection with the App Academy Contest (the "Contest") must be uploaded to www.scholastic.com/samsungacademy, and received by Submission Due Date deadlines as listed below after the Academy of attendance. All entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. in the time zone of the Academy attended on the Submission Due Dates listed below.
1. How to Enter: To enter, a student must (i) register and fully attend a five-day Academy at one of the 6 (six) locations listed below; (ii) complete in good faith all AA Online Courses; and (iii) submit an Academy App Concept Submission, which will explain a mobile application concept, what functions the application will perform, and how it will benefit the entrant's community, (health, education, environment, and community investment/sustainability) by the submission dates listed below.
The Academy App Concept Submission, the entry form, is the Contest entry.
|Academy Location||Academy Date||Submission Due Date|
University of Miami
|July 6–10, 2015||October 2, 2015|
|July 13–17, 2015||October 9, 2015|
|July 20–24, 2015||October 16, 2015|
|San Francisco, CA
|July 27–31, 2015||October 23, 2015|
|New Brunswick, NJ
|August 3–7, 2015||October 30, 2015|
|Wash, DC/Baltimore, MD
University of Maryland
|August 10–14, 2015||November 6, 2015|
The Academy App Contest entries must be completed online at www.scholastic.com/samsungacademy or by submitting a scan to firstname.lastname@example.org, where the entrant will be required to fill out the entry form details and to upload his or her completed Academy App Concept Submission form, provided at each of the Mobile App Academies and online at www.scholastic.com/samsungacademy. Entrants will be provided with information for where to take the AA Online Courses at their specific Academy.
2. Eligibility: An entrant must meet the eligibility requirements to attend an Academy, which are: did not attend a summer 2012, 2013, or 2014 Samsung Mobile App Academy; will be in 11th or 12th grade during the upcoming 2015–2016 school year; have taken or be enrolled in two or more science, technology, engineering, and/or mathematics AP and/or Honors classes; have a GPA of 3.0 or higher; and live within a 60-mile radius of the university location of an Academy. In addition, an entrant must (i) fully attend the five-day Academy; (ii) fully complete all components of the six (6) AA Online Courses; and (iii) submit an Academy App Concept Submission and complete the entry form by the above Submission Due Dates. Entrants acknowledge and agree that in order to submit an Academy App Content entry, the applicant may be required to show proof of AA Online Courses completion. Spots in the Academy will be determined by random lottery (once the applicant has been deemed qualified to attend); entrance into the Academy is not guaranteed.
3. Prizes: One (1) Grand Prize winner will receive a $20,000 scholarship, one (1) Second Prize winner will receive a $10,000 scholarship, one (1) Third Prize winner will receive a $5,000 scholarship, one (1) Fourth Prize winner will receive a $1,000 scholarship, and one (1) Fifth Prize winner will receive a $500 Scholarship. Grand Prize, Second Prize, and Third Prize winners will also receive a Samsung Mobile smartphone without a carrier contract or mobile service. All of the above, collectively, are the "Winners."
Scholarship awards must be used at a two-year accredited college or four-year accredited college or university by the Winner, and may be spent only on tuition and/or textbooks.
Approximate estimated retail value ("ARV") of Samsung Mobile Smartphone–three (3) phones at $750 each. ARV of all prizes, including trip described below, is $45,000.
Prizes are not redeemable for cash. Prizes are nontransferable, non-assignable, and no cash alternative will be offered except by Scholastic Inc. ("Scholastic") and Samsung in the event of unavailability, in which case a prize of equal or greater value will be awarded.
The top three Winners (Grand Prize, Second Prize, and Third Prize) and one (1) parent or legal guardian will be invited to attend an announcement ceremony (the "Event") in person at a location (to be determined) Spring 2016. One (1) night's accommodation, a per diem gift card to cover meals, round-trip airfare from the gateway airport nearest Winner's city to site of Event (except if an above Winner resides within 100 miles or less of the Event site, in which case ground transportation may be provided at Samsung's sole discretion), and round-trip transportation to and from the airport for the Winners will be paid by Samsung. If an above Winner is under 18, that Winner's parent or legal guardian must accompany the Winner to the Event (if the Winner attends), and Samsung will pay for the round-trip airfare, meals, airport transportation, and accommodations (as set forth above) for the Winner's parent or legal guardian. If any of these Winners are unable to attend the Event in person, he or she should make a reasonable effort to make himself or herself available during the announcement ceremony time via videoconference. The traveling Winners will be solely responsible for all trip expenses not specified herein, including, without limitation, flight changes, ground transportation, taxes, meals, beverages, incidentals, and gratuities. Travel must be made through Samsung, on a carrier of Samsung's choice. These Winners and their parents or legal guardians will be required to provide valid government-issued photographic ID and/or other required travel documents, such as a valid passport, at time of travel. These Winners and their parents or legal guardians are responsible for obtaining travel documents. Certain travel restrictions may apply. ARV of the above trip is approximately $5,000 (ARV will vary depending upon point of departure and fluctuations of hotel rates and airfares).
4. Entries: By attending the five-day Academy, by fully completing the AA Online Courses, and by submitting an Academy Concept Submission form, each registrant agrees Scholastic, MWW Group, and Samsung shall jointly own the entries submitted (including all rights embodied therein in winning entries) and that it and its designees (including Samsung) may exploit, edit, publish, use, adapt, modify, or dispose of any entry and elements embodied therein online, in print, film, television, or in any other media now or hereafter known for advertising, promotional, or other purposes throughout the world, in perpetuity, without additional compensation or notification to, or permission of the entrant, except as prohibited by law.
5. Judging Criteria: Academy attendees will be required to complete and submit an Academy Concept Submission and entry form by the Submission Due Dates outlined above. Each entry will be judged on creativity/originality (50%) (overall creativity/originality, audience/market appropriateness, usability), and ability to communicate concept clearly (50%) (benefit to community in the areas of health, education, environment, and community investment/sustainability), communicating concept, demonstration of concept, concept overall). The decisions of the judges are final and binding.
Entries will be judged in or around December 2015, and the five potential winners will be notified in or around January 2016. Except for informing their parents or legal guardians, the potential winners (and their parents or legal guardians) will keep the fact that they are a potential winner confidential until informed otherwise by Samsung, MWW Group, and/or Scholastic. By entering, each entrant agrees to be bound by the Official Rules. Each potential winner (and if the potential winner is a minor, his or her parent or legal guardian), will be required to sign and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release within two (2) days of notification or an alternative winner may be selected in Scholastic and Samsung's sole discretion, unless the potential winner has already previously signed such a document in connection with his or her attending the Academy. Scholastic and Samsung reserve the right to not award any or all of the prizes if, in their sole discretion, they do not receive a sufficient number of qualified and eligible entries. An entry must be the entrant's own original work, and cannot contain previously published and/or copyrighted material in any part by any third party. Additionally, each entry must be in keeping with Scholastic's and Samsung's images and may not be offensive or inappropriate, as determined by Scholastic and Samsung in their sole discretion. Furthermore, an entry may not defame or invade publicity rights or the privacy rights of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person's personal or property rights or any other third-party rights. Scholastic and Samsung reserve the right to disqualify any entry they deem to be offensive, inappropriate, or not in keeping with their images, in their sole discretion.
6. General: By entering (except where prohibited by state law) and/or accepting a prize, all entrants and their parents or legal guardians if entrant is a minor, agree to release Scholastic, Samsung, and MWW Group, their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, and employees, and their advertising, promotion, prize supplies, or production agencies (collectively, the "Released Parties") from any and all liability, claims, or actions of any kind whatsoever for injuries, damages, or losses to persons and property, which may be sustained in connection with the receipt, ownership, or use of the prize participation in the Contest, including use of an entry and travel. Subject to all applicable laws.
Potential winners will be notified by email or phone in or around January 2016. At the sole discretion of Scholastic, Samsung, and MWW Group disqualification, forfeiture, and the selection of an alternate winner may result from any of the following:  potential winner's failure to respond to notification within two (2) days after its transmission;  the return of an email notification as undeliverable after three (3) attempts; phone call messages that are not returned after three (3) attempts;  potential winner's failure to provide Scholastic with satisfactory proof of age, identity, and residency;  potential winner's failure to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release within five (5) days after they are mailed;  potential winner's failure to validly claim the prize by February 3, 2016; and  any other noncompliance with the Official Rules. In the event of a prize forfeiture, Scholastic and Samsung, may, in their sole discretion, award or not award the forfeited prize to an alternate winner. All taxes are solely the responsibility of the Winner.
The Released Parties are not responsible for late, interrupted, or unavailable network, server, Internet Service Provider (ISP), website, or other connections; for lack of availability or accessibility, or miscommunications due to failed computer, satellite, telephone, or cable transmissions or lines; for technical failure or jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions; for computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures, or difficulties; or for any other computer, network, technical, typographical, human, or other error, problem, or malfunction related to or in connection with the contest. Further, the Released Parties are not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by site users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest and assume no responsibility for any injury or damage to participants' or to any other persons' computer (whether hardware or software), relating to or resulting from downloading materials or software in connection with this Contest. In the event the Contest is compromised by non-authorized human intervention, virus, bugs, or other causes beyond the control of Scholastic, Samsung, and/or MWW Group that corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness, or proper play of the Contest, Scholastic reserves the right in its sole discretion to modify, suspend, or terminate the Contest or any portion thereof and/or terminate the participation of any participant (and void his or her entry) whose conduct potentially compromises the Contest and at its sole discretion to award any or all of the Prizes from among all eligible non-suspect entries received prior to termination using the judging procedures outlined above. In the event of a dispute over the identity of an online entrant, entry will be deemed submitted by the holder of the email account.
WINNERS LIST: For the names of the Winners (available on or about February 4, 2016 ), send a stamped, self-addressed envelope by March 11, 2016, to: WINNERS: April Martin, c/o Samsung Mobile, MWW Group, 3030 Olive Street, Dallas, TX 75219; or email email@example.com.
Administrator: Scholastic Inc., 557 Broadway, New York, NY 10012
Samsung's representative in connection with this Contest: MWW Group, 3030 Olive Street, #250, Dallas, TX 75219