The Power of Green 2017 Student Contest
Students in grades K–5 are invited to enter The Power of Green 2017 Student Contest and tell us: How do you and your family save energy at home?
Entries must be postmarked by May 16, 2017, and received by May 26, 2017.
The Contest is open to students in grades K–5 who attend school in New York City or Westchester County, New York.
How to Enter
To enter, each student must:
- Create an original piece of artwork on a sheet of 8.5" x 11" paper that shows how he/she and his/her family save energy at home. Entrants may submit a poster, comic strip, drawing, collage, or painting.
- Write an essay of up to 200 words describing the artwork and how the student's family works together to save energy. Artwork and essays must be in English.
- Complete a contest entry form. Staple or glue the form to the back of the contest entry.
- Mail the artwork and essay with a completed entry form to the address on the form.
Entries will be judged in two grade groups: grades K–2 and grades 3–5.
Grand Prize Winners
- Student winners (three from each grade group for a total of six students): $500 American Express Gift Card
- Teacher of each winner (total six teachers): $100 American Express Gift Card
- School of each winner (total six schools): $1,000 library of Scholastic books
Runner-Up Prize Winners
- Student winners (two from each grade group for a total of four students): $100 gift card (in the form of a code) to the Scholastic Store online
- Teacher of each winner (total four teachers): $50 gift card (in the form of a code) to the Scholastic Store online
Entries will be judged on the following criteria:
- Originality and creativity (How well does the entry demonstrate creativity in design? How well does the entry demonstrate a family commitment to saving energy?) (35 points)
- Artistic interpretation of the prompt (How well does the entry combine pictures and words to answer the topic question?) (25 points)
- Quality of entry (What is the overall quality of the entry?) (25 points)
- Grammar and spelling (Does the entry reflect proper grammar and spelling?) (15 points)
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Void where prohibited. The Power of Green 2017 Student Contest ("Contest") is open to students in grades K–5 who are enrolled in public schools, accredited private schools, or home schools in compliance with the laws of the students' primary state of residence and who are legal residents of New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, or Connecticut, and attend school in New York City or Westchester, New York. Approximate retail value of all prizes: $10,200.Click here for complete Official Rules.
Test Your Students’ “Green” Knowledge
Check out this interactive quiz with your students to test their knowledge of energy conservation.Learn More
©2017 Con Edison. All Rights Reserved.