The Power of Green 2016 Student Contest is now closed. Thank you to all who entered the contest. Check back in late June
for a list of winners.
Entries must be postmarked by May 16, 2016, and received by May 27, 2016.
The Contest is open to students in grades K–5 who attend school in New York City or Westchester County, New York.
How to Enter
To enter, each student must:
- Create an original piece of artwork on a sheet of 8.5" x 11" paper that shows how he/she and his/her family saves energy
at home. Entrants may submit a poster, comic strip, drawing, collage, or painting.
- Write an essay of up to 200 words describing the artwork and how the student’s family works together to save energy.
Artwork and essays must be in English.
- Complete a contest entry form. Staple or glue the form to the back of the contest entry.
- Mail the artwork and essay with a completed entry form to the address on the form: The Power of Green 2016 Student Contest,
Scholastic Inc., 557 Broadway, Attn.: C. Caulfield, Office 512, New York, NY 10012.
Download the entry form (English)
Descargar el formulario de inscripción (español)
Read the Official Rules (English)
Leer el reglamento oficial (español)
Students will be judged in two grade groups: grades K–2 and grades 3–5. Three Grand
Prize Student Winners from each grade group (for a total of six winners) will receive:
- A $500 American Express gift card
- A kid’s bike and helmet
- An adult’s bike and helmet
- Family board games
Approximate retail value (ARV) of each Grand Prize: $1,000.
The school of each Grand Prize Student Winner (for a total of six schools) will receive a classroom library of
Scholastic books worth $1,000.
The teacher of each Grand Prize Student Winner (for a total of six teachers) will receive a $100 American Express
Four Student Runners-Up (two from each grade group) will each receive a $100 gift card to the Scholastic Store
The teacher of each Student Runner-Up (for a total of four teachers) will each receive a $50 gift card to the
Scholastic Store online.
Entries will be judged on the following criteria:
- Originality and creativity (How well does the entry demonstrate creativity in design? How well does the entry demonstrate
a family commitment to saving energy?) (35 points)
- Artistic interpretation of the prompt (How well does the entry combine pictures and words to answer the topic question?)
- Quality of entry (What is the overall quality of the entry?) (25 points)
- Grammar and spelling (Does the entry reflect proper grammar and spelling?) (15 points)