THE PEOPLE TO PEOPLE AMBASSADOR PROGRAMS HAIKU CONTEST OFFICAL RULES
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A purchase will not increase the chances of winning the People to People Haiku Contest (“Contest”).
1. Eligibility: The Contest is open only to students in grades 8–12, ages 13 and up at the time of their entry, enrolled in public schools, accredited private schools, or home schools in compliance with the laws of their states. Entrants must also be legal residents of the United States living in the 50 states or Washington, DC. Employees of Scholastic Inc. (“Scholastic”) and People to People Ambassador Programs, and members of their immediate families living in the same household, their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, and their advertising, promotion, and production agencies, are not eligible to enter. Students may only submit one entry online.
2. Sponsor: Scholastic Inc., 557 Broadway, New York, NY 10012.
3. How to Enter: To enter the Contest, students must create an original, 5-7-5 haiku in an unrhymed style based on the topic “A perfect travel experience is…” Entries must follow the traditional style of a haiku, which includes references to an aspect of nature or the seasons. Contest begins March 1, 2013. Entries must be submitted online by April 26, 2013. Completed entries must be submitted online at www.scholastic.com/peopletopeople.com.
Entries must be the entrant’s original work, and cannot contain previously published and/or copyrighted material in any part by any third party. Do not put any personally identifiable information in your haiku; if you do, Scholastic and People to People Ambassador Programs may in their sole discretion disqualify that entry. Additionally, each entry must be in keeping with Scholastic’s and People to People Ambassador Programs’ images and may not be offensive or inappropriate, as determined by Scholastic and People to People Ambassador Programs in their sole discretion. Furthermore, an entry may not defame or invade publicity rights or the privacy rights of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person’s personal or property rights or any other third-party rights. Scholastic and People to People Ambassador Programs reserve the right to disqualify any entry they deem to be offensive, inappropriate, or not in keeping with Scholastic’s and People to People Ambassador Programs’ images, in their sole discretion.
4. Entries: By submitting an entry, each entrant agrees that People to People Ambassador Programs shall own the entry submitted (including all rights embodied therein in winning entries) and that it and its designees (including Scholastic) may exploit, edit, publish, use, adapt, modify, or dispose of any entry and elements embodied therein, online, in print, film, television, or in any other media now or hereafter known for advertising, promotional, or other purposes throughout the world, in perpetuity, without additional compensation or notification to, or permission of the entrant, except as prohibited by law.
5. Judging Criteria: Entries will be judged equally on: responding fully to the topic, spelling and grammar, haiku structure (5-7-5 form), and creativity. The decisions of the judges are final and binding.
6. Selection of Winners: Entries submitted will be judged by Scholastic and People to People Ambassador Programs. Winners will be notified on or around May 24, 2013. Each entrant agrees to be bound by the Official Rules, and the decisions of the judges are final in all matters relating to this contest. The winners and their parents or legal guardians (if applicable), will be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability or publicity release within seven (7) business days of notification attempt or an alternative winner may be selected. People to People Ambassador Programs and Scholastic reserve the right to not select a winner if none of the entries are deemed of sufficient quality based on the criteria. By entering, each entrant hereby releases and holds harmless Scholastic, People to People Ambassador Programs, and their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, licensors, licensees, prize suppliers, advertising and promotion agencies, and all others associated with the development and execution of this Contest, and the respective officers, directors, shareholders, agents, and employees of the foregoing (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from any and all claims, demands, losses, promises, causes of action, and liabilities arising out of the preparation for or participation in this contest, or any use or misuse of any prize (or any portion thereof) awarded hereunder, including any travel or activity related thereto. Scholastic and People to People Ambassador Programs assume no responsibility or liability for the selection of any winner. The Contest entry and/or acceptance of any prizes constitute a release of Scholastic and People to People Ambassador Programs from such responsibilities and liabilities.
7. Prizes: One winner will choose one of the following trips offered by People to People Ambassador Programs during the 2014 travel year: “European Discovery,” “Australian Adventure,” and “The Great Wall and Beyond.”. Total ARV of prize: approximately $7,500 No cash substitutions for prizes. Prizes are nontransferable except by Scholastic and People to People Ambassadors Programs, who reserve the right to substitute a prize or award (or portion thereof) of comparable or greater value, at their sole discretion. All federal, state, and local taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the winner. Void where restricted or prohibited.
Trip Restrictions: Actual value of trip may vary based on the trip selected, the point of departure and dates and of travel. If the selected trip cost is less than the prize value, the difference will not be awarded. If the selected trip cost is greater than the prize value, winner will be responsible for the cost difference. The winner and any travel companions are solely responsible for all trip expenses not specified herein as being awarded, including, without limitation, optional travel insurance (Travel Protection Plan or the Cancel for Any Reason Upgrade); airline unaccompanied minor fees; excess baggage or baggage weight fees; personal expenses; trip upgrades including, but not limited to, pre-trip and post-trip extensions, deviations from the itinerary, transfers, airline seat ticket upgrades, accommodation upgrades, optional products or services; ground transportation; taxes; meals, beverages, and gratuities not stated in the final trip itinerary; or any other expenses not specifically listed herein, and any such unspecified expenses shall be the sole responsibility of winner. All travel will be subject to People to People Ambassador Programs’ Booking Conditions and Terms and Conditions of Travel (available at: www.peopletopeople/terms), as well as all other terms and conditions required to be agreed to by any other trip participants. Travel must be made through People to People Ambassador Programs or their agent, on a carrier of their choice. The winner and any traveling companion(s) will be required to provide valid government issued photographic ID and/or other required travel documents, such as a valid passport, at time of travel. Winner is responsible for obtaining travel documents. Certain travel restrictions may apply. If winner cannot travel/participate in the selected trip in 2014, prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to an alternate.
8. General: By entering, students agree to abide by these Official Rules, warrant and represent that entries are their original work, and grant to Scholastic and People to People Ambassador Programs the right to use the entry submitted (including all rights embodied therein, including biographical information and likeness) in any media now or hereafter known for advertising, promotion, and/or other purposes throughout the world without additional compensation or notification to, or permission of the entrant, except as prohibited. If Scholastic and/or People to People Ambassador Programs discover at any time, during or after the Contest, that an entry contained infringing material, the student who submitted the entry will be immediately disqualified and will be obligated to immediately return any and all prizes that may have been awarded to him or her in connection with his or her entry. Subject to all applicable laws
9. Limitations of Liability: The Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to, malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in the website, phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process of the Contest; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; or (5) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize, including travel. If for any reason an entrant's entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost, or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, entrant’s sole remedy is another entry in the Contest, provided that the entry period has not ended. No more than the stated number of prizes will be awarded.
In the event the contest is compromised by nonauthorized human intervention, virus, bugs, or other causes beyond the control of Scholastic that corrupts or impairs the administration, security, fairness, or proper play of the Contest, Scholastic and People to People Ambassador Programs reserve the right in their sole discretion to modify, suspend, or terminate the Contest or any portion thereof and/or terminate the participation of any participant (and void his or her entry) whose conduct potentially compromises the Contest, and is at its sole discretion to award the prizes from among all eligible nonsuspect entries received prior to termination using the judging procedures outlined above.
IN NO EVENT WILL THE RELEASED PARTIES BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SERVICE AND/OR THE CONTEST, DOWNLOADING FROM AND/OR PRINTING MATERIAL DOWNLOADED FROM ANY WEBSITES ASSOCIATED WITH THE CONTEST. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE RELEASED ENTITIES' TOTAL LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES, OR CAUSES OF ACTION EXCEED $100. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, THIS CONTEST AND ALL PRIZES ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NONINFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
10. WINNERS LIST: The name of the winner will be available on or about 6/1/13. You may request this name by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope by 8/1/13 to: The People to People Ambassador Program Haiku Contest Winner’s List, Scholastic Inc., 557 Broadway, 5th Floor, NY, NY 10012, Attn: Megan Battle.
11. Contest Sponsor: Scholastic Inc., 557 Broadway, New York, NY 10012.
12. Tour Operations: Ambassador Programs, Inc., d/b/a People to People Ambassador Programs, is a Delaware corporation, qualified to do business in the state of Washington, with its corporate headquarters located in Spokane, Washington. Ambassador Programs, Inc. is in the business of arranging and operating group student, athlete and professional educational and exchange travel programs. Ambassador Programs, Inc. is registered or is registering as a “seller of travel” in California (Reg. No. 2039729-20), Florida (Reg. No. ST36276), Hawaii (Reg. No. 0032984F1), Iowa (Reg. No. 798), Nevada (Reg. No. 2005-0051), and Washington (Reg. No. 601648165). Registration as a seller of travel does not constitute approval by that state.