Intrigue your toddler with this sticky stuff.
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
Listening and Speaking
Fine Motor Skills
What you need:
- ½ cup water
- Food coloring
- Cornstarch (one handful)
- Plastic plate or bowl
What to do:
- Add a few drops of food coloring to the water.
- Place approximately one handful of cornstarch on a plastic plate or bowl. Talk with your child about how the cornstarch feels. Is it soft or hard? Wet or dry?
- Slowly add the water to the cornstarch and stir. It can be hard to stir, so add more water if needed. The final consistency should be slightly thicker than wet sand.
- How does it feel now? Is it sticky?
- What happens when you pick up a handful of goop and squeeze it? (It feels almost like something solid.) What happens when you open your hand? (It drips through your fingers like a liquid.)
- Encourages language development
- Supports observation skills