- Boston Children’s Museum Beantown’s first “green” museum features Our Green Trail, a hands-on exhibit on the eco-friendly innovations of the building, and more.
- Boston Common Frog Pond This kid-centric part of the city’s legendary park (the oldest in the country) offers ice skating in winter, a wading pool in summer, and a carousel spring through fall.
- Freedom Trail Visit 16 historic sites on foot. Download a map of the trail or join a guided tour hosted by the Freedom Trail Foundation.
- Boston Fire Museum Vintage gear! Historic photos! Heroic stories! Free!
- Wagamama A global sensation, this budget, healthy pan-Asian chain opened its first U.S. branch here in historic Faneuil Hall Marketplace.
- Flour Bakery and Cafe A tantalizing variety of pastries.
- Legal Harborside Casual waterfront dining — great lunch spot! Fishpond activities for kids on weekends.
Where to stay: The Four Seasons Hotel Boston is within walking distance of many of the city’s major attractions and on the edge of Boston Common. The Kid-Kation package includes sundae-making with the ice cream man, bathrobes and slippers for the whole family, a cookie-baking class, and more!
Samantha Brody is a freelance writer based in New York City.