Serves 6 to 8
- 1½ tsp vegetable oil
- 4 oz bacon, chopped
- 4 oz Linguica sausage (or dried chorizo)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, trimmed and chopped
- 1 Tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 small russet potato, peeled and chopped
- 10 oz shredded cabbage
- 1 15-oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed Salt and pepper
1. Heat vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-high. Add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 6 minutes; remove to a plate with a slotted spoon.
2. Add sausage and onion to the fat in the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add carrots, celery, and paprika, and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
3. Pour in crushed tomatoes and chicken broth and bring mixture to a boil. Add potato and cabbage and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in kidney beans and season with salt and pepper to taste. Divide among bowls and top with prepared bacon.
Tip: Pair with empanadas.