There's no need to order takeout from the local deli. Your kids will love this dinner and you will, too — it's casual, fun fare. If you like, make the meatballs ahead and freeze for up to three months. Serves 4.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
What you need:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 (26-ounce) jar pasta sauce
- 4 oblong French bread rolls, sliced most of the way through but still with the halves attached
- 4 slices provolone cheese
What to do:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground beef, egg, salt, pepper, dry bread crumbs, ketchup, and garlic powder. Mix well and form into 1-inch meatballs.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy sauté pan. Cook the meatballs for 6 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until very well browned. Remove from the skillet.
- Add remaining oil to the skillet. Add chopped onion and cook 5 minutes, stirring. Add the sauce, and then the meatballs. Cover and cook 5 minutes, until the meatballs are done.
- Arrange the rolls on a baking tray. Spoon some meatballs and sauce on each. Top with cheese. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes, until the cheese is melted. Serve hot.
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 8-10