- 2 very ripe large bananas
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch of fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup light olive oil (or melted butter)
- 7 oz blueberries, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp raw brown sugar
1. Heat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-hole muffin pan with muffin cases. Peel the bananas and mash in a bowl, using a fork.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and brown sugar together in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk, egg, olive oil, and bananas. Quickly fold the ingredients together until just incorporated, taking care not to over-mix. Tip in the blueberries and give the batter one or two stirs.
3. Spoon the batter into the muffin pan and sprinkle with the raw brown sugar. Each cup will be quite full. Bake in the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes until muffins are well-risen and golden brown on top; a skewer inserted into the center of a muffin should come out clean.
4. Let cool in the pan for a couple of minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Makes 12 muffins
More healthy and hearty breakfast recipes:
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 3-5