- 14 oz mixed-grain elbow pasta
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1½ cups panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- ⅓ cup whole-wheat or regular flour
- 2½ cups 1% milk
- 3 cups grated reduced-fat aged cheddar, about 9 oz
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Coat an 11" x 7" baking dish with cooking spray (you can also use individual ramekins).
2. Cook pasta according to package directions in lightly salted, boiling water. Drain and return to pot.
3. Mix together butter, bread crumbs, and Parmesan in bowl. Set aside.
4. In a saucepan, whisk flour with ½ cup of the milk. Place the pot over medium-high heat and slowly whisk in remaining milk. Continue whisking until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes in total.
5. Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the cheddar until smooth. Pour mixture over pasta and stir.
6. Transfer to baking dish(es). Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the top and bake until the topping is golden, about 5 to 6 minutes.
More Easy Pasta Recipes: