Fry-Free Chicken Nuggets
Try this kid-friendly, healthy recipe at home with your young sous-chef.
What you need:
- 1 1/2 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Wash everyone's hands thoroughly.
- Have your child measure breadcrumbs and pour them into the plastic bag or mixing bowl.
- Next, measure Parmesan cheese and add to bread crumbs. Reseal bag and shake to mix thoroughly (or mix with a spoon in mixing bowl).
- Melt butter in a small saucepan.
- Place melted butter in a shallow bowl. Measure and add buttermilk. Sprinkle in salt and pepper. Mix well with spoon and set aside.
- Help your child rinse chicken breasts and pat them dry with paper towels.
- Place chicken breasts on cutting board. Parents only: cut chicken into 12 to 14 equal pieces.
- Now let your child dip each chicken piece into the buttermilk mixture and turn to coat all sides. Let extra buttermilk drip off, and place 3 coated pieces at a time into bag of breadcrumbs. Seal bag and shake, or mix in bowl, until chicken pieces are evenly coated.
- Place nuggets on an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with all remaining pieces. Wash hands thoroughly after handling raw foods.
- Bake nuggets 4 to 5 minutes, until golden on top side.
- Parents only: Remove pan from oven. Use tongs or fork to turn over each nugget.
- Return nuggets to oven and bake 4 to 5 more minutes until golden brown.
- Parents only: Remove pan from oven. Using tongs or fork, move nuggets to plates. Serve immediately with BBQ sauce, ketchup, honey mustard, or other yummy sauces for dipping.
- basic cooking skills
- reading and following a recipe
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 3-5