Serves 8 | Total time: 45 min
- 2 lbs lean ground beef, ground turkey, or chicken breasts
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 14-oz cans diced tomatoes with chilis, not drained
- 1 14-oz can red kidney beans, not drained
- 1 10-oz bag frozen corn
- 1 Taco Seasoning Mixture (see recipe below) OR 1 (1.25-oz) package gluten-free taco seasoning mix such as McCormick
1. In a large sauté pan, brown beef or turkey and drain liquid. If you’re using chicken, simmer chicken until cooked, remove from water, and shred.
2. In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium-high. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, until translucent.
3. Add meat, tomatoes, kidney beans, frozen corn, and taco seasoning mixture. Mix together well.
4. Reduce heat to medium and simmer about 20 to 30 minutes.
For extra crunch: Top with homemade tortilla chips!
Taco Seasoning Mixture: To make your own seasoning, mix 1 tablespoon chili powder; 1 teaspoon each of sea salt and black pepper; ½ teaspoon each of cumin and paprika; and ¼ teaspoon each of garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper flakes, and dried oregano.
More easy soups:
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 6-7
Find Just-Right Books