Serves 4 | Total time: 20 min
- 8 oz wagon-wheel (rotelle) pasta
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 15-oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15-oz can low-sodium red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar (optional)
1. Cook the pasta in plenty of salted boiling water according to package directions. Three minutes before draining pasta, add the mixed veggies to the pot. Finish cooking, drain, and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Add the onion and cook until slightly softened, 3 minutes. Stir in the chili powder and cumin, and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
3. Stir in the tomatoes and gently simmer 5 to 6 minutes, until mixture is slightly thickened. Stir in beans and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
4. Toss with pasta. Top each serving with cheese if desired.
More easy dinner ideas: