Serves 10 | Total time: 30 min
- 5 cups rolled oats (not the instant kind)
- 11⁄2 cups slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup raisins or dried blueberries
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Mix oats, almonds, and pecans in a large bowl.
3. in a bowl, combine syrup, oil, salt, and vanilla extract. Mix well. Toss with the oat mixture. Spread a thin layer on baking sheets.
4. Bake for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Rotate the pans top to bottom and bake for another 10 minutes or until golden, stirring once or twice.
6. Remove the granola from the oven. When it’s cool, stir in the raisins or the dried blueberries. (Add more or less to taste.) Store in an airtight tin or jar.
7. Serve with berries and yogurt.
More quick breakfast ideas:
- Fruity Muffin: Toast an English muffin and top each side with cottage cheese and peaches, blue- berries, or other seasonal fruit. Eat it open-faced!
- Healthy Cereal: Cascadian farm organic’s new Chocolate O’s cereal gives your kids a little sweetness with whole grains and a good dose of fiber. Great with a sliced banana! Walmart, $6.
- Ready-Made Oats: Get the satisfaction of oats without the heat with nature Valley’s soft-baked oatmeal squares. serve with a hard-boiled egg for a hit of protein. Grocery stores, $4 for a box of six.
- Yogurt To Go: Happy tot’s greek yogurt pouches are stuffed with calcium, fruits, and even veggies! Target, $2.