Chicken Soup With Rice
It doesn't have to be frigid out to make this soup, but it tastes especially good on a chilly day.
What you need:
- 10 cups canned chicken broth
- 1/2 cup long grain white rice
- 1 10-ounce box frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup (1 eight-ounce package) cooked roasted chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
What to do:
- Read Maurice Sendak's book Chicken Soup With Rice to set the mood.
- Wash everyone's hands thoroughly.
- Pour the broth into a large pot. Stir in the rice. Set the pot on the stove. Turn the heat to high (adult only).
- When the water boils, reduce the heat to low and cover the pot (adult only). Cook for 15 minutes.
- Uncover the pot and add the peas and carrots. Stir in the chicken.
- Put the lid back on the pot. Cook for 5 more minutes. Stir and taste the soup. If the rice and the vegetables aren't cooked all the way, cook for another 5 minutes with the cover on.
- Uncover the pot and taste again. If you think it needs salt and pepper, add about one half teaspoon of salt and one quarter teaspoon of pepper. Taste and add a little more salt and pepper if you like.
- Ladle the soup into shallow bowls. Allow to cool before eating.
- Teaches how to follow directions
- Supports vocabulary development
- Introduces cooking skills
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 3-5