Serves 4 | Total time: 40 min
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1½ cups chopped onion
- 3 bell peppers, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- 3 15-oz cans low-sodium black beans
- 1½ cups thawed frozen corn
Optional accompaniments: Chopped avocado, sour cream, cilantro, shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
1. Prepare rice according to package directions.
2. Heat oil in a large pot set over medium-high. Add the onion, bell peppers, celery, and garlic, and cook until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, vinegar, black beans, and corn and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat and gently simmer until the mixture is somewhat thickened, about 14 to 15 minutes.
3. Serve over rice and top with any of the optional accompaniments.
Next Day's Lunch: Black Bean Burritos
- You’ll need: bean mixture, salsa, whole-wheat tortillas, shredded reduced-fat Cheddar
- Combine 1/3 cup bean mixture with 2 Tbsp salsa; place in tortilla; top with 2 Tbsp cheese. Roll up and wrap in foil.