Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
If your 3rd-5th grader is more advanced, try these challenging books and activities:
- The View from Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg: Each of the four protagonists in the book has their own story to tell, thus making this a wonderful chapter book for advanced readers to use for better understanding voice.
- Dictionary Fun is a wonderful site to make learning words a whole lot of fun. It will take your gifted reader on a journey of enhanced vocabulary development through games and quizzes that will adapt to his level. As he advances, he unlocks harder challenges!
- Explore The Invention of Hugo Cabaret in a whole new way! This multidimensional site will allow gifted students to draw on engineering, writing, and thinking skills!
- The challenge itself is a wonderful opportunity for gifted kids to put ideas together for a real world purpose. However, even when the challenge is not collecting submissions, the site has many engaging interactive opportunities to spark passion and ignite learning.
- Allow your gifted child to explore his own voice through this interactive editorial workshop on issues from Ink Heart by Cornelia Funk.
- Wonderopolis is a fabulous site to visit every day. Presents a different interesting visual “wonder” everyday, and encourages kids’ curiosity and creativity as they find out more about the topic of the day.
- Math Pickle is wonderful math site that goes beyond practicing facts and offers children challenging problems in a fun way. The site offers curricular games, puzzles, and mini-competitions.
- Feed Me Oil iPad app: Engaging way to apply physics to fun. Can your child feed each crazy monster the oil it craves?
- Rocket Math iPad app: Adjusts to your child’s needs and abilities, engages him in missions and rocket launches. Kids can learn and play on this app for hours!
- Human Body Math Hunt: Combine math, reading, and science in this fun on line interactive adventure!
- Some of My Best Friends Are Books: Guiding Gifted Readers from Pre-School to High School by Judith Wynn Halsted
- One Minute Mysteries Science/Math by Eric Yoder: Engage problem solving, inference, creative thinking, predictions and math/science skills with these short fun reads!
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 8-10
Find Just-Right Books