Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
Adding and Subtracting
What you need:
- one shuffled deck of cards with face cards removed
What to do:
- Invite your child to stack the cards face down in a pile.
- Together, decide who will collect cards that are "less than 10" and who will collect cards that are "10 or more."
- To take a turn, draw two cards. Add the numbers on the cards out loud. (For example, your child might say, "9 plus 5 equals 14."
- If the sum of the numbers is less than 10, the "less than 10" player wins the cards. If the sum is 10 or more, the "10 or more" player wins the cards.
- Take turns until all cards have been played.
- The player with the most cards wins.