Take the first steps toward geometry learning.
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
Memory and Memorization
Gross Motor Skills
What you need:
- pictures of different shapes
What to do:
- Prepare this activity by drawing shapes on a piece of paper — a triangle, circle, square, rectangle, oval, and diamond.
- Look at the shape drawings with your child.
- Play follow the leader! Walk in the outline of a shape and let your child follow you. Narrate what you're doing: When you turn a corner to make a square, for example, you might say "Sharp turn coming up!"
- Can your child match the shape she walked with the drawing of the shape?
- For an additional challenge, draw a shape with your finger on your child's back. Can she guess the shape?
- develops large-motor skills
- encourages shape recognition
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 3-5