Push Limits With Paper
Scoop up some geometry, spatial reasoning, and creativity when you make this cool cone.
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
Fine Motor Skills
What you need:
- construction paper
- tissue paper
- other collage or decorating materials
What to do:
- Cut a sheet of paper into the shape of a triangle. Explain how the triangle can be rolled into the shape of a cone.
- Invite your child to decorate the triangle by drawing stripes, squares, circles, or anything she wants.
- Together roll the paper into the shape of a cone, and secure it using tape. Make ice cream scoops by balling up tissue paper and stuffing it into the cone until it begins to rise over the top. Finish decorating the “ice cream” with glue and glitter!
- To extend the activity, brainstorm other uses for the cone. Could it be a megaphone? A princess hat? A tepee? Make more cones and decorate them accordingly.