Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
Adding and Subtracting
What you need:
- 21 toothpicks, beans, or other small markers
What to do:
- Explain to your child that this game is over 1,000 years old. Can he think of any games he enjoys that other kids might enjoy 1,000 years in the future?
- To play the game, arrange the toothpicks (or other markers) in a single row.
- Taking turns, you and your child can pick up one, two, or three sticks at a time.
- The player to pick up the last stick loses.
- As a follow-up activity, search online or at the library for other Chinese games, or games from other Asian cultures.
From The Multicultural Game Book by Louise Orlando
(Scholastic Professional Books)
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 8-10
Find Just-Right Books