Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
If your 6- to 7-year old is more advanced, try these challenging books and activities:
- A Midsummer Night's Dream for Kids (Shakespeare Can Be Fun!) by Lois Burnett (also see her versions of Macbeth, Hamlet, and Much Ado About Nothing): This wonderful series will allow you to introduce Shakespeare to kids. It stays true to each story, has rhyming text, but is obviously much more discernible to this age group. She has terrific examples of letters and artwork by her second graders. Let them inspire your own children to do the same!
- Greg Tang Math: Only select games/interactive books are available for free, but the site still offers fun math puzzles and challenges.
- Panda Math, Tiger Math, Polar Bear Math, Cheetah Math, and Chimp Math by Ann Whitehead Magda: If your gifted child is into animals, this is a great series to learn about subtraction, division, fractions, and graphing. Want some online fun with pandas? Try out these challenging games for some multiplication practice. Don’t forget to check out the animal activities on the Activities page as well.
- 2x2 = Boo! A Set of Spooky Multiplication Stories is a fun way to introduce multiplication for numbers 0-5. The comic strip format is another great way to hook kids who love to learn visually. What about suggesting he make his own comic book? Try out the Toontastic app.
- Math Curse by Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith is a story about a girl who wakes up and finds that everything has become a math problem. Ask your child to read and solve the math in the book. For a fun online crossword interactive, click on ages 8-11 and choose Math Curse Word Problems from the “Play One of Ours” pull down menu.
- Plane Math has nine real-world airplane activities that blend aeronautics and math. Each activity includes interviews with aeronautics experts.
- Mensa: Try these games and activities for gifted kids.
- NASA app: Try this fun app for the space enthusiast.
- Some of My Best Friends Are Books: Guiding Gifted Readers from Pre-School to High School by Judith Wynn Halsted
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 6-7
Find Just-Right Books