The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) are academic standards that affect the way students are being taught in the classroom and what skills every child will need to develop and demonstrate, from kindergarten through 8th grade. These standards, which are designed to provide “goals and benchmarks to ensure students are achieving certain skills and knowledge” at each grade level, address English Language Arts and Mathematics, with an emphasis on employing real-life concepts, developing foundational skills, and having access to technology.
One of the most significant ways that CCSS impacts classroom instruction in Reading and Writing is in the types of texts that students read, specifically literature and informational texts. Scholastic’s eReading app, Storia, includes features that teachers are actively using in the classroom to help meet the standards of reading, writing, speaking, listening, and language. The app can be used to reinforce teachings about the main idea and supporting details, making inferences, comparing and contrasting, cause and effect, and more. Storia eBooks can also be used at home to support these skills and motivate children to read more.
Here are 6 ways that Storia eBooks help support the Common Core State Standards:
- Reading Storia eBooks on a digital platform helps children become confident consumers of electronic text while growing their computer and tablet skills. Engaging with electronic texts helps reinforce vocabulary, phonemic awareness, phonics, and comprehension.
- Storia Read-to-Me eBooks feature real-voice narration with music, sound effects, and highlighted text that readers can follow. Read-to-Me eBooks empower children to acquire knowledge from books slightly above their reading level, while helping build foundational reading skills, such as decoding, comprehension, and fluency.
- Enriched Storia eBooks feature interactive learning activities, such as puzzles, quizzes, word games, and videos based on the content of the story. These learning activities improve children’s ability to interact with technology, while also enhancing engagement and reinforcing skills such as vocabulary, phonemic awareness, phonics, and comprehension.
- The Storia Dictionary embedded in each eBook offers age-appropriate definitions featuring text, image, and optional narration. The Dictionary helps expose readers to grade-level concepts and vocabulary, and Storia’s text can also be used to model grammar and spelling conventions.
- Reference tools, including Storia’s highlighter and note-taker, enable children to focus more clearly on main ideas while reading and then later apply them while writing. They encourage metacognition and inferring while students read, and enable students to reflect on character traits and actions, figurative and sensory language, non-fiction elements, and more.
- Storia Reading Challenge eBooks include a quiz at the end to test comprehension and record results directly to a child’s individual reading report. Reading Challenge quizzes help support comprehension standards by sharpening children’s ability to cite textual evidence and recognize central themes and ideas.
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 0-2