This hands-on paint alternative is perfect for younger children.
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
What you need:
- 1 cup each flour, salt, and water
- empty plastic squeeze bottles
- watercolor paints
- spoon and bowl for each color
- cardboard squares or heavy paper
What to do:
- With your child, mix flour, salt, and water in a bowl. Stir in paint until the mixture is the desired color. Encourage your child to create several different colors of squeezy paint.
- Pour the paint into a squeeze bottle.
- Invite your child to squeeze the paint from the bottle onto cardboard or heavy paper.
- Encourage her to experiment with different designs, as well as letters, names, or words.
- Allow the puffy paintings to dry until they are hard and sparkly, usually overnight. Invite your child to close her eyes and touch a letter with her fingers. Can she guess what letter it is?
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 3-5
Find Just-Right Books