A secret ingredient makes letter play colorfully fun.
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
Attention and Focus
Fine Motor Skills
What you need:
- White glue
- Two cups of salt
- Shallow pan
- Watercolor paints, paintbrushes
What to do:
- Your child can use glue as a writing instrument by squeezing it to draw a letter, word, or name on the cardboard. Encourage her to go slowly, making very thick lines of glue.
- Together, lay cardboard in pan and pour enough salt over it to completely cover glue.
- Invite your child to heavily fill a paintbrush with water and paint, and guide her to gently touch the tip to the glue and salt creation. By lightly touching the tip to the glue, the salt will absorb the paint.
- Watch the paint zoom into the glue, making rainbow patterns that travel rapidly through the salt. When finished, let the salty design dry overnight.
- provides practice with letter recogition
- supports observation skills
- develops fine-motor skills
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 3-5