Use common kitchen supplies to create a colorful critter.
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
Fine Motor Skills
What you need:
- Coffee filters
- Food coloring
- Small cups or bowls
- Pipe cleaners
What to do:
- Prepare by putting water into small cups or bowls and adding a few drops of food coloring.
- Invite your child to use the eyedroppers to drop the food coloring onto a coffee filter. Let him experiment to see how the colors expand and overlap after they fall onto the filter.
- Pinch a colored filter around the middle and wrap with a pipe cleaner. Or, for a bigger butterfly, use two colored, pinched filters, side by side and glued together or gathered with a pipe cleaner.
- Let dry. Once they're finished, your butterflies can hang in a window or sit on a shelf as a cheery reminder of spring.
- Develops creativity
- Supports fine-motor skills
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 3-5