Do you remember what you loved to do before you were a parent and had an automatically full schedule? When I had a day off I would go to the art museum. I wouldn’t just browse -- I’d study the paintings, thinking about what was happening when the painter was creating the piece. I love art history. I may not get enough -- or any time -- to myself these days that aren’t filled with kid activities but that doesn’t mean I can’t expose my kids to something that was once very important to me.
These are just some of the many great titles about art history for kids. Grab a few and plan a visit to an art museum.
- 13 Artists Children Should Know by Angela Wenzel
- 13 Paintings Children Should Know by Angela Wenzel
- The Art Book for Children by the Editors of Phaidon Press
- Name That Style by Bob Raczka
- History of Art for Young People by Anthony F. Janson
- A Child’s Introduction to Art: The World's Greatest Paintings and Sculptures by Heather Alexander
- Mini Masters by Julie Merberg
- An Eye for Art: Focusing on Great Artists and Their Work by The National Gallery Of Art
What pre-kid passion are you hoping to share with your kids? Can you do it with the help of books? Tell us all about it on the Scholastic Parents Facebook page!