The Incredible Egg
What You Need:
Tip: Be sure to wash your hands with hot soapy water when you finish this experiment.
What's really inside an egg?
1. First, observe, or look at, the egg. Weigh it in your hand, tap on the shell, and shake it gently. Record what you notice about the egg.
2. Then, carefully crack the egg into the bowl. Put the shell on the plate. Clean up any liquid that may have spilled.
3. Look at the inside of the shell. Record any interesting observations.
4. Now, look at the egg in the bowl. Draw a picture of what you see.
5. Identify, or name, the following parts of the egg:
7. You are now an "Eggspert." Proudly display your egg picture on the fridge or in your room!
A Scientific Explanation
The yolk and albumen both serve as food for the young chick while it develops in the egg. A chick will only grow in a fertilized egg. Eggs that you buy at the grocery store are unfertilized and don't have baby chicks inside them.
Write a story that explains the age-old question, which came first, the chicken or the egg?