NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A purchase will not improve your chance of winning.
HOW TO ENTER. To enter the LYSOL® Healthy Habits Story Writing Contest, a single teacher with the authority to bind the school and who teaches one of the grades set forth below (the "Designated Official") from an eligible school (as defined below) shall:
Download the Healthy Habits Story Writing Contest Handbook online at www.scholastic.com/lysol.
Detach the Healthy Habits Story Writing Contest Submission Form (see page 7 of the handbook) and complete all fields.
Complete the Healthy Habits Story Writing lesson plan (see pages 5-6 of the booklet) with their class. Work with your students on completing your Contest entry (see paragraph 3 for criteria and the Handbook for further details).
Mail their completed Healthy Habits Story Writing Contest Submission Form and classroom Healthy Habits Storybook to Scholastic. All entries must be postmarked by November 16, 2012. Mail to: LYSOL® Healthy Habits Story Writing Contest; 557 Broadway, PO Box 711; New York, NY 10013.
The Contest begins September 1, 2012, 12:00 a.m. EST and all entries must be postmarked by November 16, 2012, 11:59 p.m. EST. The entries must be original compositions. Each entry must be in keeping with Scholastic Inc.’s (“Scholastic”) and Reckitt Benckiser’s images and may not be offensive or inappropriate, as determined by Scholastic and Reckitt Benckiser in their sole discretion. Furthermore, an entry may not defame or invade publicity rights or the privacy rights of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person’s personal or property rights or any other third-party rights. Scholastic reserves the right to disqualify any entry it deems to be offensive, inappropriate, or not in keeping with Scholastic’s and Reckitt Benckiser’s images, in its sole discretion. One submission per Designated Official.
2. ELIGIBILITY. The Contest is open only to public, accredited private schools and home schools in compliance with their state of residence that are located in the 50 United States (including the District of Columbia) and have any or all of the following grades: PreK – 6th (a “School”). The Contest entries on behalf of the School shall be submitted by the Designated Official of one of the above grades in a School, who is a legal resident of the United States, is currently over the age of 18 and is authorized by the School to participate in the Contest on behalf of the entering School. Employees and members of their immediate families of Scholastic and Reckitt Benckiser, their parent organizations, subsidiaries, and affiliates, and their advertising, promotion and production agencies are not eligible to submit entries on behalf of their school and/or receive a prize. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
3. WINNERS/PRIZES. One Grand Prize winning School (the “Grand Prize Winning School”), a 2nd Prize Winner (the “2nd Prize Winner”), 3rd Prize Winner (the “3rd Prize Winner”) and fifteen (15) Runner-Ups (the “Runners Up,” and collectively with the other above winners the “Winners”) will be selected by Scholastic from among all eligible entries on or about December 31, 2012 and the Teacher will be notified by phone or e-mail on or about January 31, 2013. The Grand Prize Winning School will receive $10,000, the 2nd Prize Winner will receive $5,000, the 3rd Prize Winner will receive $2,500 and 15 Runners Up will receive $500. All 18 winning Schools will also receive twenty-five (25) Scholastic books for the classrooms that submitted the winning entries.
Criteria: Winners are chosen based on the following criteria (outlined in the Healthy Habits Story Writing Contest Handbook): Story has a clear beginning, middle, and end; Story offers information or good advice about healthy habits, such as how to keep germs from spreading, the importance of hand washing, or other healthy behaviors; Story includes original illustrations that support the narrative; Story is engaging, clever, and fun to read; and Story and drawings are neat and free from errors; Entries may include no fewer than 4 pages, no more than 12 pages of text and illustrations, plus optional cover page.
Approximate total retail value of all prizes for the LYSOL Healthy Habits Story Writing Contest: $37,325.
Prizes are non-transferable, non-assignable and no cash alternative will be offered except by Scholastic in the event of unavailability, in which case a prize of equal or greater value will be awarded. The decisions of the judges are final and binding. If any prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, the potential winner chooses to decline a prize for any reason, or fails to comply with these Official Rules and all the requirements set forth herein, the prize may be forfeited and, at Scholastic’s discretion, awarded to a runner-up. An authorized representative on behalf of the Schools, the Designated Official and any student who participated in a winning submission may be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release within ten (10) business days of notification attempt or an alternative winner may be selected. Taxes on prizes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the Winners.
4. BOOK OFFER. Designated Officials who submit complete entries will receive a free grade appropriate Scholastic book for use in their classroom (estimated retail value: $8.50). This offer begins on September 1, 2012 and ends at (a) the time at which the first One Thousand (1,000) free books have been awarded or (b) November 16, 2012, whichever occurs earlier. Supplies are limited. One redemption per Designated Official and classroom. Duplicate requests will constitute fraud. Offer void where taxed, restricted or prohibited by law. Please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery from the close of the book giveaway.
5. GENERAL. Each School and Designated Official represents and warrants that Scholastic and Reckitt Benckiser shall own the entry and all rights in and to the entry submitted (including all rights embodied therein in winning entries) and that they and their designees may exploit, edit, publish, use, adapt, modify, or dispose of any entry and elements embodied therein, online, in print, film, television, or in any other media now or hereafter known for advertising, promotional, or other purposes throughout the world, in perpetuity, without additional compensation or notification to, or permission of the entrant, except as prohibited by law. Further, by entering, Schools and the submitting Designated Officials who receive a book as part of the above book offer agree to abide by these rules, warrant and represent that their entries are true and accurate and grant to Scholastic and Reckitt Benckiser the right to use the entry, Winners’ names, Designated Officials’ names, information provided and likeness in any media now or hereafter known for advertising, promotion and/or other purposes throughout the world without additional compensation or notification to, or permission of the Schools, Designated Officials and/or students, except as prohibited by law. The Schools and Designated Officials represent and warrant that they have release forms and/or other documentation on file that allows them to grant the rights to Scholastic and Reckitt Benckiser set forth herein, and that they and/or their students cannot assert any ownership rights to an entry. If Scholastic and/or Reckitt Benckiser discover at any time, during or after the Contest, that an entry contained infringing material, the School that submitted the entry will be immediately disqualified and will be obligated to immediately return any and all prizes that may have been awarded to them in connection with their entry. By entering (except where prohibited by state law) and/or accepting a prize, all entrants, including the Winners and the Designated Officials, agree to release Scholastic, Reckitt Benckiser, their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers and employees and their advertising, promotion or production agencies (the “Released Parties”) from any and all liability, claims or actions of any kind whatsoever for injuries, damages or losses to persons and property which may be sustained in connection with the receipt, ownership or use of the prize, participation in the Contest, including use of an entry. Scholastic and Reckitt Benckiser reserve the right to terminate the Contest and/or not award any or all of the prizing if in their sole determination they do not receive enough qualified entries. Subject to all applicable laws.
The Released Parties are not responsible for late, lost, inaccurate, stolen, incomplete, postage due, garbled, illegible, undelivered, delayed or misdirected entries; for interrupted or unavailable network, server, Internet Service Provider (ISP), website, or other connections; for lack of availability or accessibility, or miscommunications due to failed computer, satellite, telephone, or cable transmissions or lines; for technical failure or jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions; for computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures, or difficulties; or for any other computer, network, technical, typographical, human or other error, problem, or malfunction related to or in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, errors, problems, or malfunctions that may occur in connection with the administration of the Contest, the announcement of the prizes, the processing or judging of entries, or any Contest-related materials. Proof of mailing does not constitute proof of delivery. The Released Parties are not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by site users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest and assume no responsibility for any injury or damage to participants’ or to any other persons’ computer (whether hardware or software), relating to or resulting from downloading materials or software in connection with this Contest.
In the event the Contest is compromised by nonauthorized human intervention, virus, bugs, or other causes beyond the control of Scholastic or Reckitt Benckiser that corrupts or impairs the administration, security, fairness, or proper play of the Contest, Scholastic reserves the right in its sole discretion to modify, suspend, or terminate the Contest or any portion thereof and/or terminate the participation of any participant (and void his/her entry) whose conduct potentially compromises the Contest and at its sole discretion to award the prizes from among all eligible nonsuspect entries received prior to termination using the judging procedures outlined above.
6. WINNERS LIST. The name of the Winners will be available after on or about March 1, 2013. You may request this name by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope by May 1, 2013 to: LYSOL® Healthy Habits Story Writing Contest Winners List, Scholastic Inc., 557 Broadway, 5th Floor, NY, NY 10012.
Contest Sponsor: Scholastic Inc.,
557 Broadway, New York, NY 10012
For any questions or concerns regarding this Contest, please contact P&Cconnects@Scholastic.com