"HAPPY TRAILS GETAWAY CONTEST" OFFICIAL RULES
1. ENTRY. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A purchase will not improve your chance of winning. To enter the Happy Trails Getaway Contest (the "Contest"), visit www.scholastic.com/happytrails and submit a family vacation photo and a caption of no more than 250 characters detailing the most surprising thing you learned on your last family vacation, along with your name, age, address, e-mail address, your child's/children's name(s) and age(s). Contest begins May 1, 2013, 12:00 a.m. EDT and all entries must be received by August 31, 2013, 11:59 p.m. EDT. Parents/legal guardians can submit only one entry per household. In the event of a dispute over the identity of an online entrant, entry will be deemed submitted by the holder of the e-mail account. The entrant represents and warrants that he/she has all necessary permissions as to the photograph submitted in connection with the Contest in order to grant the rights set forth herein. Scholastic Inc. ("Scholastic") and/or Montana Dude Ranchers' Association, Inc. ("Montana Dude Ranchers") reserve the right to disqualify any entry they deem to be offensive, inappropriate, or not in keeping with their images, in their sole discretion.
2. ELIGIBILITY. Contest is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States and Washington DC who are currently over the age of 18 and are the parent and/or legal guardian of at least one child up to the age of 18. Employees and members of their families of Scholastic and Montana Dude Ranchers, their parent organizations, subsidiaries, and affiliates, and their advertising, promotion and production agencies are not eligible to enter. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
3. JUDGING. The potential Grand winner will be selected from among all eligible entries received by a panel of qualified independent judges employed by Scholastic based equally on adherence to the theme and quality of the submission. The decisions of the judges are final and binding. Scholastic reserves the right to not award all prizes if, in its sole discretion, it does not receive a sufficient number of qualified and eligible entries.
4. WINNERS & PRIZING. One Grand Prize Winner (the "Grand Prize Winner") will be selected by Scholastic from among all eligible entries on or about September 16, 2013 and notified by phone or e-mail on or about September 30, 2013. The Grand Prize Winner and their entry will be featured on Sponsor's website at www.scholastic.com/happytrails, plus receive a trip for their family (four 4 people maximum) to Elkhorn Ranch near Yellowstone National Park in Montana for seven (7) consecutive days of their choice starting on any Sunday between June 16, 2014 and September 22, 2014, including meals, activities and lodging (Approximate retail value: $14,347). 15% Crew Fund charge, Montana bed tax, round-trip airfare (from the gateway airport nearest the Grand Prize Winner's residence) and airport shuttle service are included in the prizing for the Grand Prize Winner.
Prizes are non-transferable, non-assignable and no cash alternative will be offered except by Scholastic in the event of unavailability, in which case a prize of equal or greater value will be awarded. Taxes on prizes, if any, are the sole responsibility of the Winners.
Actual value of the Grand Prize may vary based on point of departure and dates and of travel. The Grand Prize Winner is solely responsible for all trip expenses not specified herein as being awarded, including, without limitation, flight changes, ground transportation, taxes, meals, beverages, incidentals and gratuities. Travel must be made through the Sponsor, on a carrier of Sponsor's choice. If Grand Prize Winner lives within a 100-mile radius of Elkhorn Ranch, round-trip ground transportation selected by Sponsor may be substituted for round-trip airfare. The Grand Prize Winner and his/her traveling companions will be required to provide valid government issued photographic ID and/or other required travel documents, such as a valid passport, at time of travel. The Grand Prize Winner and his/her traveling companions are responsible for obtaining travel documents. If Grand Prize Winner is unable to travel within the above-specified time period, the Grand Prize Winner agrees to forfeit Grand Prize immediately so it can be reassigned. If Grand Prize Winner cancels the trip at any time, the Grand Prize Winner agrees to forfeit the Grand Prize immediately, and Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, award the Grand Prize to a runner-up. Certain travel restrictions may apply.
5. GENERAL. All entries will become the property of Scholastic and Montana Dude Ranchers and will not be returned. By entering, entrants agree to abide by these rules, warrant and represent that their entry is accurate and their original work and grant to Scholastic and Montana Dude Ranchers the right to use the entrants', Grand Prize Winner's entry, and their children's and traveling companions names, information provided and likeness in any media now or hereafter known for display in a photo gallery on scholastic.com/happytrails, advertising, promotion and/or other purposes throughout the world without additional compensation or notification to, or permission of the entrant, except as prohibited by law. The Grand Prize Winner and his/her traveling companions may be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release within ten (10) business days of notification attempt or an alternative winner may be selected. By entering and/or accepting a prize, entrants, the Grand Prize Winner, his/her traveling companions and their family members also agree to release Scholastic, Montana Dude Ranchers, their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers and employees and their advertising, promotion or production agencies and prize suppliers (collectively, the "Released Parties") from any and all liability, claims or actions of any kind whatsoever for injuries, damages or losses to persons and property which may be sustained in connection with the receipt, ownership or use of the prize and/or participation in the Contest (including any travel related thereto). Subject to all applicable laws.
6. INTERNET. The Released Parties are not responsible for technical, hardware, software or telecommunications malfunctions of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, incomplete, inaccurate, garbled or delayed electronic communications caused by the entrant, or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Contest which may limit the ability to play or participate, or by any human error which may occur in the processing of the entries in this Contest. If for any reason (including, but not limited to, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other cause beyond the control of the Released Parties, which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest) the online portion of the Contest is not capable of being conducted as described in these rules, Scholastic shall have the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest.
7. WINNERS LIST. The name of the Grand Prize Winner will be available after, on or about October 11, 2013. You may request these names by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope by November 11, 2013 to: Happy Trails Getaway Contest Winners List, Scholastic Inc., 557 Broadway, 5th Floor, NY, NY 10013.
Contest and Sponsor:
Scholastic Inc., 557 Broadway, New York, NY 10013
For any questions or concerns regarding this contest please contact P&Cconnects@scholastic.com.