Students currently enrolled in grades 8–12 can enter the Tech Detectives Sweepstakes
for a chance to win one of nine Dell laptop computers.
Click here for Official Rules. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
THE FOLLOWING PROMOTION IS INTENDED FOR VIEWING IN THE UNITED STATES ONLY AND SHALL ONLY BE CONSTRUED AND EVALUATED ACCORDING TO UNITED STATES LAW. DO NOT PROCEED IN THIS SITE IF YOU ARE NOT LOCATED IN THE UNITED STATES.
1. Eligibility: Tech Detectives Sweepstakes (the "Sweepstakes") is open only to legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who are students in grades 8–12 at the time of entry and who are currently enrolled in a public or accredited private school or who are schooled at home in compliance with the laws of the state in which they are located (hereinafter referred to as "Entrant"). Employees of Dell Marketing U.S.A. L.P., Dell Inc., Scholastic Inc., and their parent and affiliate companies as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible. Subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited. Participation constitutes entrant's full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and Sponsor's and Administrator's decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Sweepstakes. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
2. Sponsor: Scholastic Inc., 557 Broadway, New York, NY 10012.
3. Timing: The Sweepstakes begins on April 9, 2012, at 12:00 a.m. EST and ends on May 21, 2012, at 11:59 p.m. EST (the "Entry Period").
4. How to Enter: Students must find the answer to the following three riddles embedded in three student worksheets: 1) This kind of farm could heat your home someday. What is it? 2) Solid walls don't block me but water is my kryptonite. What am I? 3) I live in computers and I help millions of people have a shared experience. What am I? The worksheets can be found at http://www.scholastic.com/delluniversity. Entries must be submitted at http://www.scholastic.com/delluniversity. All entry fields are to be completed accurately in order for Entrant's submission to be considered valid. YOU MAY ONLY ENTER THIS SWEEPSTAKES ONLINE, NO OTHER METHOD OF ENTRY WILL BE ACCEPTED. No copies, facsimiles, or reproductions of the online entry form will be accepted. Scholastic and Dell are not responsible for interrupted or unavailable network, server, Internet Service Provider (ISP), website, or other connections; for lack of availability or accessibility, or miscommunications due to failed computer, satellite, telephone, or cable transmissions or lines; for technical failure or jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions; for computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures, or difficulties; or for any other computer, network, technical, typographical, human or other error, problem, or malfunction related to or in connection with the Sweepstakes. In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of a person submitting an online entry, the entry will be deemed to be submitted by the Authorized Account Holder of the email address at the time of entry. "Authorized Account Holder" is defined as the natural person who is assigned the email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. Use of any automated system to participate is prohibited and will result in disqualification. The potential winner may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder.
5. Grand Prize Drawings: Sponsor's decisions as to the administration and operation of the Sweepstakes and the selection of the potential winners are final and binding in all matters related to the Sweepstakes. On or around June 6, 2012, Sponsor will conduct a random drawing to select the potential Sweepstakes winners from all eligible entries received during the Entry Period. Five (5) Grand Prize winners and Four (4) Runner-up Prize winners (collectively, the "Winners") will be randomly selected from all eligible entries. The potential winners will be notified by mail, email or phone. Each Entrant agrees to be bound by the Official Rules. Each potential winner (parent/legal guardian if winner is a minor in his/her state of residence) will be required to sign and return to Sponsor, within ten (10) days of the date notice or attempted notice is sent, an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability & Publicity Release in order to claim his/her prize. If a potential winner cannot be contacted, fails to sign and return the Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability & Publicity Release within the required time period, or prize is returned as undeliverable, potential winner may forfeit prize at Sponsor's sole discretion. Potential winner must continue to comply with all terms and conditions of these Official Rules, and winning is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements. In the event that a potential winner is disqualified for any reason, Sponsor will award the applicable prize to an alternate winner by random drawing from among all remaining eligible entries. Only three (3) alternate drawings will be held after which the prize will remain un-awarded. Except where prohibited, acceptance of a prize shall constitute and signify a Winner's consent to the use of his/her name, biographical information, entry and likeness (as further detailed in the Affidavit) for any lawful purpose (including for promotional purposes) in any media, including without limitation online, in perpetuity, without further notice or compensation, except where otherwise prohibited by law.
6. Prizes: Five (5) Grand Prize winners will win a Dell XPS 13 laptop. The Approximate Retail Value of each Grand Prize is $1,200 but subject to change based on, among other things, normal price fluctuations associated with the consumer marketplace. Four (4) Runner-up Prize winners will win a Dell Alienware M11x laptop. The Approximate Retail Value of each Runner-up Prize is $1,000 but subject to change based on, among other things, normal price fluctuations associated with the consumer marketplace. Prizes are non-transferable and no substitutions will be made except as provided herein at the Sponsor's sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize for one of equal or greater value if the designated prize should become unavailable for any reason. Winner is responsible for all taxes and fees associated with prize receipt and/or use. Odds of winning a prize depend on the number of eligible entries received during each Entry Period. Limit: One (1) prize per person. Total ARV for all Prizes: $10,000.
7. Release: By receipt of any prize, winner agrees to release and hold harmless Sponsor, Dell Inc., and their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, distributors, advertising/promotion agencies, and prize suppliers, and each of their respective parent companies and each such company's officers, directors, employees and agents (collectively, the "Released Parties") from and against any claim or cause of action, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death, or damage to or loss of property, arising out of participation in the Sweepstakes or receipt or use or misuse of any prize (or any portion thereof) awarded hereunder, including any travel or activity related thereto.
8. Publicity: Except where prohibited, participation in the Sweepstakes constitutes Winner's consent to Sponsor's and its agents' use of winner's name, likeness, photograph, voice, opinions and/or hometown and state for promotional purposes in any media, worldwide, without further payment or consideration.
9. General Conditions: Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Sweepstakes, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures or any other factor beyond Sponsor's reasonable control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Sweepstakes, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or any other Promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Sweepstakes may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor's failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
10. Limitations of Liability: The Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Sweepstakes; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Sweepstakes; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Sweepstakes or the processing of entries; (5) late, lost, undeliverable, damaged or stolen mail; or (6) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant's participation in the Sweepstakes or receipt or use or misuse of any prize. If for any reason an entrant's entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost, or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, entrant's sole remedy is another entry in the Sweepstakes, provided that the Entry Period has not ended. If the Sweepstakes is canceled, suspended or modified, Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may elect to hold a random drawing from among all eligible entries received up to the date of discontinuance for any or all of the prizes offered herein. No more than the stated number of prizes will be awarded. In the event that production, technical, seeding, programming or any other reasons cause more than stated number of prizes as set forth in these Official Rules to be available and/or claimed, Sponsor reserves the right to award only the stated number of prizes by a random drawing among all legitimate, un-awarded, eligible prize claims.
Scholastic Inc. and Dell Inc. assume no responsibility or liability for the selection of any winner. The Sweepstakes entry and/or acceptance of any prizes constitute a release of Scholastic and Dell from such responsibilities and liabilities.
11. Disputes: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Sweepstakes or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by United States District Court for the Western District of Texas and the Texas State District Court in Williamson County, Texas. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, entrant's rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsor in connection with the Sweepstakes, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Texas, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of Texas or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Texas.
13. Winners List/Official Rules: For a Winners List and/or a copy of these Official Rules, send a hand-printed, self-addressed, stamped envelope to "Tech Detectives Sweepstakes Winners List", c/o , Attn: S. Keating, Scholastic Inc., P.O. Box 713, New York, NY 10013-0713. Winners List requests must be received after July 1, 2012, and before August 31, 2012. VT residents may exclude return postage for Official Rules.