All About Me
Students will use writing and research strategies to explore their interests and reflect on what makes them unique.
All About Me Student Reproducible; pictures cut from a magazine; pencils; crayons or markers; construction paper; glue; digital camera; Internet access
SET UP AND PREPARE
Before you begin:
Set up your classroom Collection at Shutterfly. Take photos of yourself and the classroom for parents to view online.
Send home the reproducible Photo Permission Form (PDF) and invite parents to view your classroom photos online and upload their own family photos.
- About Me (PDF)
- Explain to students that we all have different interests that make us special. Have students brainstorm some of their favorite topics or activities (animals, sports, academic subjects, hobbies) and allow them to share their thoughts with the class.
- Have students cut out images illustrating these interests from magazines at home and bring them to class.
- Encourage students to think about their unique skills as they pursue their favorite hobbies and activities, such as art, music, sports, academic subjects, etc. Tell students that eventually, when they grow up, their skills will help direct them toward a profession. Distribute All About Me (PDF) Student Reproducible 5 and have students list information about their interests, including their favorite and least favorite things. Have students think about jobs they might be interested in when they grow up. In addition, have students draw a picture of one of their favorite activities.
- Have students create a personal collage by decoratively pasting their magazine pictures and drawing onto construction paper.
- Photograph each student and his or her artwork and add the photos to your Shutterfly classroom Collection.
Shutterfly Bonus Activity: Use the photos of student artwork to create individual Greeting Cards for each student to send home to parents. (To create Greeting Cards, use Shutterfly's special offer.) (PDF)