Our Classroom Rules
Picture-Perfect Language Arts
- Use critical-thinking and writing skills to develop a set of classroom rules.
- Our Classroom Rules (PDF)
- Photo Permission Form (PDF)
- Special Offer (PDF)
- chart paper
- Internet access
- digital camera
- crayons or markers
SET UP AND PREPARE
Before you begin:
Set up your classroom Collection at Shutterfly. Take photos of yourself and the classroom for parents to view online.
Send home the reproducible Photo Permission Form (PDF) and invite parents to view your classroom photos online and upload their own family photos.
- Begin by discussing the concept of rules. Emphasize that rules help people get along with each other and keep people safe. Ask questions such as, What kind of rules do you have to follow at home? Why are those rules important? What happens if you don't follow them? Where else are you asked to follow certain rules?
- Tell students that they will have a chance to create some of their own classroom rules, and have them think about what types of rules might be important. Answers may include: We respect each other. We raise our hands before speaking. We share. We keep our classroom neat and orderly. Distribute Our Classroom Rules (PDF) Student Reproducible 2 and have students write some suggested rules and draw a picture of themselves following one of the rules.
- Write down some of the student-proposed class rules on chart paper. Have students discuss each one and decide whether it will be helpful in the classroom. When you have compiled a list of rules, have each student sign the paper, indicating that he or she has agreed to uphold the classroom rules.
- Throughout the school day, take pictures of students following the classroom rules. For example, you might photograph students raising their hands to answer a question, neatly putting their books in their desks, or forming an orderly line to exit the classroom.
- Add the photos to your Shutterfly classroom Collection account and add comments that describe which rule the students are following in each picture.
- Print the photos and bring them to class. (To print 5x7 prints, use Shutterfly's special offer.) (PDF) Display the pictures on a bulletin board next to the signed class rule list to remind students that they have helped to shape their classroom community.
Use Shutterfly to invite parents to view the photos in your Shutterfly classroom Collection and discuss the classroom rules with their children.