Rhyme at Circle Time
Rhyme at Circle Time!
Use hand cleaning rhymes not only to teach the importance of clean hands but also to practice the literacy skills of listening, matching, auditory discrimination, vocabulary, and rhyming.
Skills learned: Germ awareness, creative movement and dramatics, large motor coordination
- Chart Paper
- Clean Hands Rhymes (PDF)
- Write these short rhymes (see Clean Hands Rhymes PDF) on chart paper and read them to the children in your class.
- Ask children to show you the matching rhyming words. How are they the same or different? Help children note that some words have similar spellings, others do not.
- Read the rhymes again and ask children to help fill in the last rhyming word for each phrase.
- Invite children to suggest other situations where hand cleaning is important. Help guide the class to make up a new rhyme to add to the collection.
- For an activity extension, invite children to illustrate their rhyme chart with drawings or photos taken doing the different cleaning actions.