Get kids excited about saving the planet. With this fun, hands-on project, students will keep an eye out for environmentally unfriendly spots in the classroom.
Students will make personalized “eco-inspector” binoculars using recyclable materials and work together to make their classroom a safer, healthier place.
Elmer’s Glue-All*, Elmer's 3D Washable Paint Pens*, Elmer's Glitter Glue*, empty paper towel tubes, plastic wrap (colors work best), scissors, colorful construction paper
SET UP AND PREPARE
1. Begin by having a discussion with students about the little things they can do in the classroom to help the environment. Make a list of potentially wasteful behaviors or locations in the classroom, (“hot spots”), like a dripping faucet, a light switch left on, and paper in the wastebasket and not the recycling bin. Ask students what they think can be done to fix these problems. Then, explain to students that they are going to work on a fun project that will help them pick out these “hot spots.”
2. Cut 4 inch x 4 inch squares of plastic wrap, two for each student, and pass around.
1. To assemble the binoculars, begin by instructing students to cut the empty paper towel tube in half
2. Next, have students draw a line of glue around the top of each paper towel tube half, about two inches from the end. Next, show them how to carefully place a plastic wrap square around the top of each half, pressing firmly to glue down. Explain to students that these will be their “eco-inspector” lenses. .
3. Next, invite students to glue colored paper around the outside of each tube to cover up the excess plastic wrap.
4. Show students how to glue the paper towel tube halves together at one end using Elmer’s Glue-All, then wrap an extra strip of colored paper around the top quarter of both of the tubes to secure them together.
5. Students can then decorate their binoculars with Elmer's 3D Washable Paint Pens and Glitter Glue, and let dry.
6. After the binoculars are finished, ask students to break into teams and inspect the classroom for “hot spots”!
*Elmer's Glue-All®, Elmer's 3D Washable Paint Pens™, and Elmer's® Glitter Glue are all registered trademarks of Elmer's® Products, Inc.