Lesson 5: Advances in Hematology
In this lesson, students will learn about the importance of model organisms biology research.
• Understand how the use of model organisms has contributed to research in biology
• Describe the ideal attributes of a model organism
• Describe similarities in structure and function between humans and some common model organisms, such as the zebrafish
• Be introduced to the concept of evolutionary developmental biology
• Advances in Hematology Student Worksheet 5
• Blood Detectives DVD
1. Have students watch the video segment from the Blood Detectives DVD where zebrafish research is described.
2. Instruct students to conduct research on model organisms in biology (two references are listed below) and answer all questions on the student worksheet.
• Research the history of hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HCT). Have students describe the procedure, its successes, and obstacles to its use.
• Allow students to observe, analyze, and record data on the embryonic development of zebrafish.
For information on model organisms:
For information on HCT (extension activity):
For information on zebrafish development (extension activity):