Lesson 2: Blood Disorders
In this lesson, students will become more familiar with common blood disorders.
• Become familiar with common blood disorders
• Understand the pathology and symptoms of some common disorders
• Distinguish among the three categories of blood disorders
• Common Blood Disorders Student Worksheet 2
• Blood Detectives DVD
1. Play video segments from the Blood Detectives DVD showing patients being treated by hematologists at New York-Presbyterian hospital. Show segments for three to six of the patients, depending on how many class periods will be devoted to this activity. Show at least one segment for anemia, one for a clotting disorder, and one for lymphoma/leukemia.
2. While watching the video segments, students should answer questions and fill out the table on the accompanying worksheet.
• Give students a list of blood disorders not included in the video segment. Have the students work in teams of two to four to research their assigned disorder, including the symptoms of the disease, the changes that take place in the blood, available treatments, and current research that is being carried out on the disorder. Students can complete a research paper on their topic or give a presentation to the class.