Create a poster representing a Venn diagram classifying a variety of objects.
Students understand various representations of patterns and functions and the relationships among them.
Math (Understands and applies basic and advanced properties of functions and algebra)
Ellison Equipment Required
Ellison Prestige Pro
Ellison Prestige SpaceSaver
Original Ellison LetterMachine
XL Ellison LetterMachine
Ellison RollModel Machine
Ellison Prestige Select
Ellison Dies Used
Ellison SureCut Die - Airplane (Basic Beginnings) SM
Ellison SureCut Die - Giraffe (Basic Beginnings) SM
Ellison SureCut Die - Crayon SM
Ellison SureCut Die - Dog, Puppy #1 SM
Ellison SureCut Die - Eiffel Tower SM
Ellison SureCut Die - Elephant #1 SM
Ellison SureCut Die - Firefly SM
Ellison SureCut Die - Rabbit #1 SM
Ellison SureCut Die - Scissors, Open SM
Ellison SureCut Die - Volcano SM
Materials and Tools Used
Cardstock Pack, 8 1/2" x 11"
Construction Paper, 9" x 12" - 50 Pack
Construction Paper, 12" x 18" - 50 Pack
Shiny Self-Adhesive Paper, 9" x 12", 6 Pack Silver
Matte Silver Paper
SET UP AND PREPARE
- A Venn diagram is an illustration of the relationships between and among sets or groups of objects that share something in common.
- Sets and groups of objects are classified in intersecting circles.
1. Use a 18" x 12" green sheet of cardstock or construction paper for the Venn diagram.
2.Use hand printed or adhesive letters to make the title for the poster and place in the lower left corner.
3. Draw three 8" concentric circles on the right side of the poster using a black marker. With a black marker or adhesive letters, label the three circles: Bigger Than A Person, Gray, and Moves By Itself (Figure A).
| Figure A|
4. Die-cut the SM Eiffel Tower from black cardstock or construction paper. Adhere the Tower in the "Bigger Than A Person" circle.
5. Die-cut the SM Volcano from brown, red and gray papers. Leave the brown Volcano whole. Tape the red lava flow to the back of the brown Volcano. Cut the smoke from the gray Volcano and adhere to the brown Volcano (see Completed Venn Diagram).
|Completed Venn Diagram|
Adhere completed Volcano in the "Bigger Than A Person" circle.
6. Die-cut the SM Basic Beginnings Airplane from light gray, dark gray and white paper. Leave the dark gray Airplane whole. Cut highlights from the light gray Airplane and adhere to the dark gray Airplane. Cut the white canopy and adhere to the gray Airplane (Figure B).
| Figure B|
Adhere in the overlapping circles of "Gray" and "Bigger Than A Person" (see Completed Venn Diagram above).
7. Die-cut the SM Elephant #1 from light gray, dark gray and white paper. Leave the dark gray Elephant whole. Cut highlights from the light gray Elephant and adhere to the dark gray Elephant. Cut the white tusk and adhere to the gray Elephant (Figure C).
| Figure C|
Adhere the Elephant in the middle of the three concentric circles (see Main Photo).
8. Die-cut the SM Crayon from three shades of gray paper. Leave the medium gray Crayon whole. Cut highlights from the dark and light gray papers and adhere to the medium gray Crayon. Adhere in the "Gray" circle (see Completed Venn Diagram above).
9. Die-cut the SM Scissors from Shiny Self-Adhesive Paper and matte silver paper. Leave the Shiny Scissors whole. Cut along the matte silver perforations and adhere to the Shiny Scissors (see Completed Venn Diagram above). Adhere in the "Gray" circle.
10. Die-cut the SM Rabbit #1 from gray and pink paper. Leave the pink Rabbit whole. Cut highlights from the gray Rabbit and adhere to the pink Rabbit (Figure D).
| Figure D|
Add other highlights with black marker. Adhere in the "Gray" and "Moves By Itself" circles (see Completed Venn Diagram above).
11. Die-cut the SM Firefly from vellum and yellow and red paper. Cut the wings off the yellow Firefly. Cut the wings from the vellum Firefly and adhere to the yellow Firefly body. Cut the head from the red Firefly and adhere to the yellow Firefly. Use a black marker to color the body of the yellow Firefly (Figure E).
| Figure E|
Adhere in the "Moves By Itself" circle (see Completed Venn Diagram above).
12. Die-cut the SM Puppy #1 from white paper. Add highlights to the Puppy with a black marker. Tape a small piece of brown paper behind the nose opening. Tape a small piece of white paper behind the eye openings. Adhere the Puppy in the "Moves By Itself" circle (see Completed Venn Diagram above).
13. Die-cut the SM Basic Beginnings Giraffe from patterned paper. Add highlights with a black marker. Adhere the Giraffe in the "Moves By Itself" and "Bigger Than A Person" circles (see Completed Venn Diagram above).