Use the five (or only four) pieces to form a square or other geometric pattern.
- Students will make a five piece tangram puzzle.
- Students will develop and reinforce thinking and problem solving skills through the manipulation of tan pieces.
- Students will develop a positive attitude toward learning math.
- Math (Uses a variety of strategies in the problem-solving process; Understands and applies basic and advanced properties of the concepts of geometry)
- Life Skills (Thinking and Reasoning)
Ellison Equipment Required
Original Ellison LetterMachine
XL Ellison LetterMachine
Ellison Prestige Pro
Ellison Prestige SpaceSaver
Ellison RollModel Machine
Ellison Prestige Select
Ellison Dies Used
Ellison SureCut Die - Tangram, 5-Piece LG
Materials and Tools Used
Construction Paper, 9" x 12" - 50 Pack
Poly Foam, 9" x 12", Assorted 12 Pack
Vinyl Place Mats
SET UP AND PREPARE
Other than the fact, that a tangram is a classic Chinese puzzle, handed down from family to family, little is known about the history of the invention or the word itself. The individual puzzle pieces are called tans. Traditional tangrams contain seven tans and Classic rules are simple: "You must use all seven tans, they must lay flat, they must touch and none may overlap." Today, tangrams are used in classrooms all over the world to reinforce a variety of math skills.
Students use Tangram pieces to create a square or other geometric shape.
1. Die cut the Tangram, 5 Piece from five different colors of Poly Foam, card stock, tag board, vinyl place mats or construction paper (Figure A).
| Figure A|
2. Create packets with each one of the five pieces in a different color. The small square will be red in one packet, blue in another, etc.
3. Arrange all five Tangram pieces to form a square (Figure B).
| Figure B|
4. Rearrange four of the five pieces to create a smaller square (Figure C).
| Figure C|
5. Keep the Tangram pieces in a packet or plastic bag and be ready for a math lesson on Tangrams.
Note: Using 2 sets of the Tangram, 5-Piece, make a square with the ten pieces.