Nell Leibovich lives in Washington, D.C., and was born in 2000.
• Nell's favorite school subject is writing.
• She plays the recorder and the piano, does ballet, plays soccer, and enjoys Hebrew school.
• In her spare time, Nell bakes and reads.
• She hopes to be a food critic when she grows up.
"I want to be a Kid Reporter because I like to read intriguing stories, and I would like to write such stories for Scholastic."
- Teacher Store
The Teacher Store
Inside Informationby Nell K. Duke
Download the PLC Study Guide
Most teachers understand the importance of teaching children to read and write informational text. But how do they do it effectively? And in a way that is truly engaging? Nell K. Duke has the answer. With this book, she shows teachers how to build skills in reading and writing major informational text types—informative/explanatory, procedural/how-to, persuasive, nonfiction narrative, and biographical—through project-based instruction. Children read and write for real purposes and real audiences on topics that matter to them. In the process, they make a difference in the world. Drawing from the latest research, Duke explains how to design and carry out instruction, providing a blueprint for developing project-based units from start to finish—units that move children through a logical progression of phases: Project Launch, Reading and Research, Writing and Research, Revision and Editing, and Presentation and Celebration. Packed with clear, precise connections to Common Core State Standards, classroom-tested teaching ideas, and the work of practicing teachers and their students, this book will become an essential resource for years to come. $26.99 You save: 25%
Professional Book | Grades K-5
Grades K-5 $26.99
- Teacher Store
The Teacher Store
Information in Action (Grade 1)by Nell K. Duke
This professional learning resource is packed with tools to help teachers develop expertise in project-based instruction and teaching key informational text types. Step-by-step guidance from Nell K. Duke supports instruction so students can build reading, writing, and researching skills. Print and digital supports include a professional book and PLC study guide, professional learning videos, and interdisciplinary model units that show teachers how to put research into practice and guide students through the research and writing process in purposeful and engaging ways.
Information in Action model units target key informational text types:
• Persuasive: Opinion
• Nonfiction Narrative
The 1st grade kit contains print and digital materials for teaching 4 teaching units
• New professional book by Nell K. Duke: Inside Information: Developing Powerful Readers and Writers of Informational Text Through Project-Based Instruction
• Teacher’s Guide: Contains step-by-step instructional guidance for four classroom-tested, project-based learning teaching units, assessment forms, and links to standards
• Launch Texts (1 title per unit, 1 copy each, 4 texts total): Read-aloud texts for kicking off each unit to build students’ interest in and knowledge about the topic
• Mentor Texts (1 title per unit, 6 copies each, 24 texts total): Books that provide models of the text type in which students are writing in each unit
• Source Texts (1 title per unit, 30 copies each, 120 texts total): A set of information-filled articles students use as research sources
• Student Research Notebook (30 copies each): A consumable work text containing graphic organizers, data-gathering charts, and drafting sheets
• Online access to a range of resources, including a PLC study guide for Inside Information, a video clip suite featuring Nell K. Duke with footage from classrooms engaged in project-based units, screen-ready digital versions of the texts used in the model units, assessment tools, and other downloadable resources
Grade 1 Units:
• Who’s Who in Our School Posters (Biography)
• Fitness Forever Pamphlets (Persuasive: Opinion)
• Delicious Drink Recipes Booklet (Procedural/How-to)
• Animals in the Wild Magazine Informative/Explanatory) $539.10 You save: 32%
Book Collection | Grade 1
Grade 1 $539.10