Nell Leibovich lives in Washington, D.C., and was born in 2000.
• Nell's favorite school subject is writing.
• She plays the recorder and the piano, does ballet, plays soccer, and enjoys Hebrew school.
• In her spare time, Nell bakes and reads.
• She hopes to be a food critic when she grows up.
"I want to be a Kid Reporter because I like to read intriguing stories, and I would like to write such stories for Scholastic."
- Teacher Store
The Teacher Store
Information in Action (Grade 3)by Nell K. Duke
This professional learning resource is packed with tools to help teachers develop expertise in project-based instruction and teaching key informational text types. Step-by-step guidance from Nell K. Duke supports instruction so students can build reading, writing, and researching skills. Print and digital supports include a professional book and PLC study guide, professional learning videos, and interdisciplinary model units that show teachers how to put research into practice and guide students through the research and writing process in purposeful and engaging ways.
Information in Action model units target key informational text types:
• Persuasive: Opinion
• Nonfiction Narrative
The 3rd grade kit contains print and digital materials for teaching 4 teaching units
• New professional book by Nell K. Duke: Inside Information: Developing Powerful Readers and Writers of Informational Text Through Project-Based Instruction
• Teacher’s Guide: Contains step-by-step instructional guidance for four classroom-tested, project-based learning teaching units, assessment forms, and links to standards
• Launch Texts (1 title per unit, 1 copy each, 4 texts total): Read-aloud texts for kicking off each unit to build students’ interest in and knowledge about the topic
• Mentor Texts (1 title per unit, 6 copies each, 24 texts total): Books that provide models of the text type in which students are writing in each unit
• Source Texts (1 title per unit, 30 copies each, 120 texts total): A set of information-filled articles students use as research sources
• Student Research Notebook (30 copies each): A consumable work text containing graphic organizers, data-gathering charts, and drafting sheets
• Online access to a range of resources, including a PLC study guide for Inside Information, a video clip suite featuring Nell K. Duke with footage from classrooms engaged in project-based units, screen-ready digital versions of the texts used in the model units, assessment tools, and other downloadable resources
Grade 3 Units:
• Protect Our “Pests” Posters and Leaflets (Persuasive: Opinion)
• Notable Native Americans Books (Biography)
• “Put Your Household Products to the Test” Flyers (Procedural/How-to)
• Bio Blogs Magazine (Informative/Explanatory) $539.10 You save: 32%
Book Collection | Grade 3
Grade 3 $539.10
- Teacher Store
The Teacher Store
Literacy and the Youngest Learnerby V. Susan Bennett-Armistead;Nell K. Duke;Annie M. Moses
Research shows that literacy—the ability to listen, speak, read, and write - begins developing long before children enter elementary school. This book helps early childhood educators nurture that development. It begins with an argument for offering children literacy-rich activities and creating an environment for carrying out those activities. It then focuses on enjoyable and effective ways to build essential skills, such as oral language and phonemic awareness, and create dramatic play areas, book nooks, writing centers, and other literacy-rich spaces. Includes photographs, student work, and straight talk about kids and learning, Literacy and the Youngest Learner is destined to become a classic. 240 pages.$18.74 You save: 25%
Teaching Resources | Grades PreK-K
Grades PreK-K $18.74