Lesson 3: The Perfect Balance
Goal: Develop a plan for balancing school, activities, family, and physical health.
Time required: 40 minutes
Materials required: paper; pen or pencil; art supplies; photos
- Review the importance of leading a healthy lifestyle and maintaining balance with school, activities, family, and self time. Explain the difference between healthy choices—such as exercise—and unhealthy choices-such as underage drinking.
- Ask students to create a plan to help them feel more balanced in their activities and life. They should consider what changes they would like to make and develop a plan for moving ahead.
- Encourage students as they implement their plans and remind them to celebrate victories, big and small.
- Invite students to choose a creative outlet that can help them express their quest to find balance in life (e.g., write a poem or a creative essay, design a comic book, work on a series of paintings, or build a collage).
- Challenge students to incorporate the goals, challenges, and barriers they have uncovered as part of this journey into the piece they write or the work of art they create.
- Encourage students to visit asklistenlearn.com to join others in pledging to live a healthy lifestyle and say "NO" to underage drinking. At this site students can also find tips and advice for staying focused on their goals, read about other superstars who pledge to make the same choices, and play fun educational games.