Lesson 2: Values and Barriers
Time: One 40-minute class period
- Ask students what they think the word values means. Guide them to define values as: beliefs that are important to you and that help to guide your life.
- Distribute the "Values and Barriers" printable. Ask for volunteers to read Jackie Robinson's Nine Values aloud to the class. Review the definitions of each value to make sure students understand them.
- Have students revisit the reproducible "About My Father" printable. Ask students to identify values that Jackie Robinson used when facing barriers and challenges.
- Returning to Reproducible 2, "Values and Barriers" explain to students that Jackie Robinson's nine values can be useful in facing their barriers today. Refer back to the barriers discussed in Lesson 1, and have students describe how they would use Jackie's values to face these barriers.
- Take-Home Activities: Send the "Values and Barriers" reproducible home with students to continue the learning with their families.
- Referring back to the story of Jackie Robinson, what does the quote on the mini-poster signify?
- Why is it important to face barriers?
Engage students to share their personal stories and how they use Jackie Robinson's values to face their own barriers.
© 2013 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved. Copyright © 2013 Legend Pictures LLC. All rights reserved.